Sunday, October 12, 2008


On a walk around the city today I met Peter. He asked me something in Spanish... and I guess by the puzzled look on my face he tried English - "What do you need?" I laughed and told him that I was just studying the metro map, but thanked him for his help. We chatted for 10 minutes and he invited me to have coffee or tea. At a nearby Italian restaurant we enjoyed a cup of tea. Peter told me about growing up in Chile, and at the age of 8 his mother died. His father shortly there after remarried - he commented that his fathers new wife did not like Peter very much... so at 16 he left home. He got on a boat from Chile and ended up in Houston. Then from there he went to Puerto Rico, Canada and France looking for a new home. Finally after 8 months of hoping around the world, Peter found himself in Switzerland. There he met an man who introduced him to his wife - the two of them took Peter in and let him live with them. He told me with great humility that they paid for everything even his schooling and university. He is now an economist... and economist that feels Gov Palin would make a fine President of the USA... (hmmmm - lol). I won't go into all the compliments he bathed me with - but considering I was in South America I just braced myself and let them wash over me. He could tell I was visibly uncomfortable with being studied and complimented as a feminine creature. I know those that know me will appreciate this one - he commented at how 'quick witted' I was! haha
Peter took a new name while living in Switzerland - he changed his name from John to Peter S. to show his love and appreciation for the family that really helped him become who he is today. The university in Switzerland is calling for him to return the end of October, so he will be moving back and offered to buy me a ticket to visit... (how flattering... but there was some catch in there like sending him a photo of me in my beach suit for his wallet). The man was hillarious, adorable and absolutely charming! Now... if only he were 30 years younger! Long live Peter~*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter's real name is Carlos. He has 8 wives around the world from his career in the merchant marine. He has divorced none of them and has 15 children, none of whom has he ever supported. He has retired from his second career as a barber and makes do on a small pension and his ability to hustle naive young foreign women. He learned the word economist from a university professor who came in for a haircut every two weeks. What could be more impressive in a time of world financial crisis than a renowned economist called from retirement to go to Switzerland to help save the world from financial collapse? Don't ask how a seaman ended up in landlocked Switzerland at the age of 17 and managed to speak enough swiss-german to have "a man" want to introduce him to anyone and then finance his way thru school. I find the story so convincing as I my self was taken in by a tourist in Anchorage who financed a Harvard education which led to a law degree. After a distinguished university teaching career and now that I am retired from the US supreme court, I am looking for some young person whom I can support in a similar manner. Am also looking for bathing beauty pictures for my wallet. I guess "Peter" and I have a lot in common.

Stray Spirit said...

HAHAHAHA - thanks~* refreshing!!! Heidi

Anonymous said...

And, this tall tale teller has a blue ox name Babe!

I wonder if the tall tale changes along his travels.

Carlos Lopez has provided some entertainment.

Did you by chance get his business card? rofkf xoxo